Monday, June 18, 2007

Pretty Womanly

I'm the same age as Julia Roberts, who just gave birth to her third child. She also has two-year-old twins.

I've been thinking (and blathering on) about this a lot lately, since my 34-year-old sister is getting married and planning to have a baby in the near future, and my 65-year-old boss and his 38-year-0ld wife are also expecting.

Meanwhile, my 15- and 13-year-olds will both be out of the house (presuming they graduate high school, and then go to college in another town) when I am 44. I used to think that was old, but now it seems pretty darned young.

The advantage, it seems to me, of having had my girls in my early-to-mid 20s is that I had lots of energy and was myself somewhat infantile. The disadvantage is that I was much less patient than I am now, and bereft of significant adult life experience that might have led me to make better decisions about how to parent. Of course it's a hands-on learning process, and by the time you get good at it there's no one left to benefit from your expertise!

That might be why I want to be a teacher when I grow up.

Powered by Blogger

1 Comments:

Blogger rb said...

I've been thinking about this a lot recently too. I had my children when I was still a child myself, and now they're adults and I'm still a child. I find myself wondering if I'll ever feel grown-up.

10:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home