Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wulf and Eadwacer

I am doing this freelance project right now that has led me to an interest in Old English poetry, except I don't read Old English, so I should say it has led me to an interest in translations of Old English poetry. Anyways, I am currently FASCINATED with this one. I haven't found any interpretations that completely satisfy me though, and the difference in translations makes it obvious I need to hunker down and kick it old school with the Old English...maybe someday.

There are a bunch of differing translations. Here's one from http://faculty.uca.edu/~jona/texts/wulfead.htm


To my people it is as if one offered them battle [ 1 ]:
they will receive him, if he with threat [ 2 ] comes. [ 3 ]
Unlike is it to us.
Wulf is on one island, I on another.
Fast is that island, by fen surrounded;5
fierce are the men on that island:
they will receive him, if he with threat [ 4 ] comes.
Unlike is it to us.
My Wulf's wide-wanderings, expected, I endure.
When it was rainy weather, and I sat tearful,10
then that battle-bold [ 5 ] clasped me in arms:
delight to me, that, yet pain as well.
Wulf, my Wulf, my hopes of thee
sickened me, thy seldom-coming,
a mourning mind, not lack of food.15
Hearest thou, Eadwacer? Our [ 6 ] sorry whelp
A Wulf bears to woods.
One easily slits what never was joined:
our song together.

Translation copyright © 1982, Jonathan A. Glenn

Powered by Blogger

1 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

here's a good one:

http://www.lone-star.net/mall/literature/gawain.htm

3:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home