Tuesday, December 12, 2006

TO KISS YOUR LIPS
BESIDE THE FENCE RAILS

Put on your beautiful clothes;
the day of happiness has arrived;
comb the tangles from your hair;
put on your most attractive clothes
and your splendid leather;
hang great pendants in the lobes of
your ears; put on
a good belt; string garlands
around your shapely throat;
put shining coils
on your plump upper arms.
Glorious you will be seen,
for none is more beautiful here
in this town, the seat of Dzitbalché.

I love you, Beautiful Lady.
I want you to be seen; in
truth you are very alluring,
I compare you to the smoking star
because they desire you up to the moon
and in the flowers of the fields.
Pure and white are your clothes, maiden.
Go give happiness with your laugh,
put goodness in your heart, because today
is the moment of happiness; all people
put their goodness in you.

(Ancient Maya poem/song)

Powered by Blogger

6 Comments:

Blogger alan said...

this is strange. i was reading mayan poems online a few weeks ago. are we psychically connected?

8:29 AM  
Blogger yelhsacrow said...

It's probably that damned Mel Gibson.

10:08 AM  
Blogger alan said...

yes, is there no way of stopping him? i haven't forgiven him for 'braveheart' yet.

4:05 PM  
Blogger yelhsacrow said...

Some of us learned everything we know about that period in Scottish history from Braveheart...so you see how insidious this is...

8:42 AM  
Blogger alan said...

Well, to me 'Braveheart' was a missed opportunity. I thought of Gerard Depardieu in 'Danton', for example, and the kind of gritty realism of that film, and wished someone else had taken on the William Wallace story. Historically it's full of inaccuracies, Gibson's accent is risible, and all that soft-focus romantic mush with Princess Isabelle is just plain daft - and, like much of the film, pure fantasy.

3:57 AM  
Blogger rb said...

I've never seen Braveheart, or any Mel Gibson movie for that matter. Everything I know about Scotland I learned from Brigadoon (and Gene Kelly's, er, form).

That, plus my punk-thrash-metal Scottish rocker friend, who's descended from Robert the Bruce, and who, coincidentally enough, just screened Apocalypto at his dollar movieplex (yes, I get to see free dollar movies if I ever want to)

But what I was going to say was, I like this song

12:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home