Saturday, July 08, 2006

Goodwill toward all

I truly enjoy shopping for books at thrift stores. Last night for $4 I acquired four fantastic paperbacks:

The New Pocket Anthology of American Verse (Pocket Books, 1973)
I love these old collections; it's interesting to see what was popular then that isn't so anthological these days. The cover's pretty groovy, too. I bought it for the W.H. Auden. I really need to get to know him better.





Bullfinch's Mythology: The Age of Chivalry and the Legends of Charlemagne (Mentor, 1962)
I don't know why I didn't have this already. On both a related and unrelated note, I wish I could read Old English. That would be cool.

A Guide to Field Identification: Birds of North America (Golden, 1966)
My dad has this book and uses it all the time to identify the birds that hang out around his bird feeder. I couldn't believe I found it for 99 cents. The paintings are amazing. I've seen an indigo bunting twice this summer. It's one of the few "true blue" birds. If you think about it, there aren't that many living things that are blue.

Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut (Delta/Dell, 1963)
This was always my favorite Kurt Vonnegut book, but I haven't read much of his stuff since I went through the phase about 20 years ago. My edition had a blue cover, but this 1963 version (it says it's in its 12th printing, does that mean in 1963 or would it have been later? I don't know how that works) has a "cover design by M. Tinkelman" that I'd never seen before, and a photo of a young Kurt Vonnegut on the back (as opposed to the older Kurt Vonnegut photo you always see). I'm reading it right now and so far it's pretty good. Some of the writing is so amusing. Take this passage for instance, from Chapter 10, "Secret Agent X-9":

"The whore, who said her name was Sandra, offered me delights unobtainable outside of Place Pigalle and Port Said. I said I wasn't interested, and she was bright enough to say that she wasn't really interested either. As things turned out, we had both overestimated our apathies, but not by much."

For some reason that cracks me up.

Powered by Blogger

1 Comments:

Blogger rb said...

If you find your life tangled up with somebody else's life for no very logical reasons, writes Bokonon, that person may be a member of your karass... (KV)

Glad to see you back in blogging shoes, yelhsa!

3:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home